Today’s News Stories (July 4th), 2012
VICTORY! ACTA Suffers Final, Humiliating Defeat In European Parliament
Today at 12:56, the European Parliament decided whether ACTA would be ultimately rejected or whether it would drag on into uncertainty. In a crushing 478-to-39 vote, the Parliament decided to reject ACTA once and for all. This means that the deceptive treaty is now dead globally.
Charles Carreon Drops Lawsuit Against The Oatmeal
The EFF reports that Charles Carreon has withdrawn his mad lawsuit against Matthew Inman, creator of The Oatmeal.
First Vein Grown From Human Stem Cells Successfully Transplanted into a Young Girl
First came bladders. Then pulmonary arteries. Followed by urethras, arteriovenous shunts and tracheas. Now, in another first for the world of tissue-engineered body parts, Swedish surgeons have successfully transplanted a bioengineered vein into a 10-year-old girl suffering from portal vein obstruction.
Physicists Have Found the Higgs Boson
At a meeting held at CERN this morning, scientists presented the latest results from the search for the long-sought Higgs particle. After 30 years of research and $9 billion of investment, they’ve changed the face of physics forever: they’ve found the Higgs boson.
FDA Approves First Ever At-Home HIV Test
On Tuesday, the FDA approved OraQuick, the first ever fully-private, over-the-counter HIV test. The test, which relies on a mouth swab and delivers results in 20-40 minutes, should be available in some 30,000 stores by October, according to an executive at OraSure, the company that manufactures OraQuick.
Double Amputee Pistorius Set to Run in Olympics
Oscar Pistorius was selected Wednesday to run in both the individual 400 meters and the 4x400 relay at the London Olympics, clearing the way for him to become the first amputee track athlete to compete at any games.
In a surprise last-minute decision, South Africa’s Olympic committee and national track federation said the double amputee can run in his individual event as well as the relay even though he did not meet the country’s qualifying criteria in the 400.
No Evidence of Mermaids, says US Government
The question as to whether mermaids are real or not was recently put to rest as a U.S. scientific agency confirmed the sea creatures do not exist. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration have confirmed that there is no evidence that the half-human, half-fish beings are a genuine living species.
My Three Daddies: California Eyes Multiple Parenting Law
California, the battleground state for the arguments for and against same-sex marriage, is now considering an unconventional law that would allow children to be legally granted more than two parents.
The bill — SB1476 — would apply equally to men and women, and to homosexual or heterosexual relationships. Proposed by State Sen. Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, it has passed the Senate and awaits an Assembly vote.
Insight: Florida Man Sees “Cruel” Face of U.S. Justice
Quartavious Davis is still shocked by what happened to him in federal court two months ago.
Davis was convicted of participating in a string of armed robberies in the Miami area in 2010. His accomplices testified against him, saying he carried a gun during their crimes and discharged it at a dog that chased them after one of their burglaries. But Davis was not convicted of hurting anyone physically, including the dog.
Chinese Zombie Attack? Drunk Chinese Man Tries to Eat Women’s Face During “Cannibal” Assault
The summer’s “cannibal craze” has reportedly spread to China. A drunken bus driver in eastern China tried to chew off a woman’s face during an attack on Tuesday afternoon, according to Chinese media.
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- msphotoshopadventures reblogged this from defranco
- gameoverpepe likes this
- aleadmek reblogged this from defranco
- aleadmek likes this
- shadowelement likes this
- bittersweetserendipity likes this
- zivanka reblogged this from defranco
- zivanka likes this
- therealducky reblogged this from defranco
- therealducky likes this
- jetsetted likes this
- columnnotes likes this
- dianamon007 likes this
- gavmm likes this
- bryanthenerd likes this
- shutup-and-dance likes this
- smirkyalphonsehugs likes this
- skittlebunny reblogged this from defranco
- callibcarver likes this
- mraxels10 reblogged this from defranco
- nicoledissonance likes this
- randog666 likes this
- sonicedbyatimelord reblogged this from defranco
- sonicedbyatimelord likes this
- defenderofdust likes this
- lifeandphotographyamr likes this
- livvysaurusrex likes this
- queen-slayer likes this
- thiscontactname likes this
- latesundayafternoon likes this
- sentientbiomass likes this
- tesaluaaa reblogged this from defranco
- dance-the-jigg-and-proveyeeworth reblogged this from defranco
- knightjp007 likes this
- gorillajesus likes this
- jcbenne likes this
- moeby likes this
- heycoolaidohyeahhhh reblogged this from defranco
- stichzevound likes this
- mitchellthelawyer reblogged this from defranco
- emma-of-hearts reblogged this from defranco
- obviousassassin likes this
- scurrycurry reblogged this from joyslice
- slashstiel reblogged this from defranco
- pattesdours likes this
- ohivelivedtoolong reblogged this from defranco
- letdai reblogged this from defranco
- onekawaiiassnigga reblogged this from defranco
- thereverendpuck likes this
- mrjoshmacintosh likes this